Aarushi Case: India's Unsolved Mystery

On May 16, 2008, 13-year-old Aarushi was killed while she was asleep. The entire nation woke up to the horror of the young teen's grisly murder.

Noida girl murdered at home

Aarushi Talwar, 13, was found dead in her bedroom at her parents' home in Noida, a Delhi suburb. A star student, a talented dancer and a keen reader, Aarushi, the only daughter of the dentist couple Nupur and Rajesh Talwar, was a few days short of her 14th birthday.

Domestic help found dead

The body of Hemraj Banjade, 45, the Talwars' domestic help, was found on the roof of the family's Noida residence. Hemraj, who went missing after Aarushi's murder, was initially presumed to be her killer. After his body was found, the Aarushi murder case ceased to be an open & shut investigation.

Hunt for murder weapon

The CBI hired sweepers on contract to clean the drains around the Talwars' residence in search of the murder weapon. The forensic teams also tried to conclusively establish the weapon used, with maximum suspicion pointing towards the use of a 'khukri' or knife. The search yielded no results.

Noida police arrest Rajesh Talwar

Aarushi's father was arrested for the twin murders. The probe was mishandled by the police on several fronts- at press conferences, policemen suggested Aarushi's parents were of questionable character; they also made allegations about Aarushi that violated basic legal protection offered to children.

'We were such a happy family'

In an interview to NDTV, a grieving Nupur said, "My life has come to an end. Aarushi and Rajesh were my life." She said it was inconceivable that her husband was a suspect in Aarushi's murder. "Rajesh doted on his daughter...We were such a happy family," she recounted.

CBI takes over case

The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) took over the case from the Noida police. A 25-member team was formed that went back to the drawing board - recreating the crime scene and the sequence of events leading up to the double murder.

More arrests

The CBI arrested Krishna, a helper at the Talwars' dental clinic, after a polygraph test and a narco-analysis test was conducted on him in Bangalore.

Lie-detector tests

Rajesh and Nupur Talwar were subjected to a polygraph or lie-detector test by the CBI.

Bail granted

Rajesh Talwar was released on bail. By this time, the agency believed Aarushi had been killed by 3 men: Krishna, who worked in Rajesh's clinic; Rajkumar, who worked for the Duranis, friends of the Talwars; & Vijay Mandal, who worked for a family that lived in the same apartment block as the Talwars.

Aarushi's mobile phone recovered

The Aarushi Talwar murder probe took the CBI team to the dusty lanes of Bulandshahar in Uttar Pradesh. They were looking for her mobile phone which they thought will help finally crack the case. They found the phone, but with nothing in it. No simcard, no memory card, no pictures, no messages.

Parents undergo more tests

The CBI carried out a narco-analysis test on Nupur Talwar between February 8 and February 12 and on Rajesh Talwar between February 15 and 20. The agency had already conducted brain mapping and lie-detector tests on the Talwars in 2009.

CBI asks to close the case

The CBI told a court in Ghaziabad that it wanted to close the case as it didn't have enough evidence to formally charge anyone with the twin murders. Despite that statement, the CBI said it believed that Rajesh was guilty. "I had huge hopes pinned on the CBI," Nupur told NDTV.

Parents to stand trial

The trial court rejected the CBI's request to end its investigation. Nearly three years after she was found dead, Aarushi's parents were ordered to stand trial in the murder. For the first time, Nupur was a suspect in her daughter's murder.The Talwars asked the Supreme Court to review that decision.

Court refuses to intervene

The Supreme Court dismissed the Talwars' plea and allowed the trial against them. "There is no justice in this country," Rajesh Talwar told NDTV.

Warrant issued against Nupur

The Special CBI court in Ghaziabad issued a non-bailable warrant against Nupur for skipping a court hearing. She lost her appeal in the Supreme Court and was arrested on April 30 after she surrendered. She has been at the Dasna Jail since then; different courts have refused her bail.

Lack of evidence

The three men were arrested and put through narco-analysis, but their tests did not lead the CBI to any breakthroughs. By September 13, they were all released after the CBI failed to file a chargesheet against them because of lack of evidence.

Supreme Court refuses to cancel trial

The Supreme Court rejected Nupur Talwar's appeal to drop the trial against the couple. The trial for the Talwars will begin at the CBI court in Ghaziabad on June 8 for murder and destruction of evidence.

Nupur Talwar gets bail

Supreme Court has granted bail to Nupur Talwar and ordered that she should be released from jail by September 25. The court has also asked the CBI to examine two missing witnesses in the case by the time Mrs Talwar walks out of jail. She was lodged in Ghaziabad's Dasna jail since April 30 this year.

Nupur Talwar finally walks out of jail

Nupur Talwar walked out of Dasna jail in Ghaziabad after five months. "Our angel Aarushi is here to take us through this," she said, with her husband and co-accused in the case, Rajesh Talwar, by her side.

'Talwars killed Aarushi'

A CBI officer tells trial court that Aarushi and Hemraj were killed by the Talwars. CBI also tells court that Aarushi and Hemraj were found in objectionable position.

Supreme Court rejects Talwars' plea

The Supreme Court rejected a plea by the Talwars seeking to summon 14 witnesses, including former CBI official Arun Kumar, in the trial.

"Talwars killed Aarushi using golf club, knife"

The CBI concludes its arguments by saying that the Talwars dressed up the crime scene and destroyed evidence after killing their 14-year-old daughter and domestic help Hemraj.

Talwars' plea to produce Nalini Singh as witness rejected

In an interview to NDTV, Ms Singh, who runs a Nepali television channel, had said that important information furnished by her in the context of the double murder had not been formally recorded by the CBI.

"Khukri could have been used to slit throat"

Expert says there is a possibility the deep cuts on the teenager and the domestic help's throats could have been inflicted with a 'Khukuri' (Nepalese knife).